The CTA U-Pass program provides greatly reduced rides for students and requires that all eligible students participate in the program. All eligible students are automatically enrolled in the program and are responsible for picking up the UPASS and paying the CTA fee. Eligibility is determined based on your academic program, credit hours and course locations as it appears on your registration.
Autumn, Winter and Spring Term Eligibility:
To be eligible for the CTA UPass during the Autumn, Winter or Spring terms, you must meet the program, credit hour and course location requirements.
You meet the academic program requirement if you are enrolled in a degree program at DePaul.You meet the credit hour requirement if:
- You are an undergraduate student in any college enrolled in 12 or more credit hours
- You are a Law student enrolled in 9 or more credit hours
- You are a graduate student in any program enrolled in 8 or more credit hours (except music)
- You are a Music graduate enrolled in 6 or more credit hours
- Regular lecture in the Loop, Lincoln Park, O'Hare or Off-campus
- Student Teaching
- Independent Study
Students taking courses EXCLUSIVELY online, in suburban campuses (Except O'hare), enrolled in non-degree programs or studying abroad are not eligible to receive a CTA U-PASS.
Students registered with DePaul's Center for Students with Disabilities can request to be removed from the CTA U-PASS program. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Summer Term Eligibility: Students enrolled in at least ONE credit hour are eligible to participate in the Summer U-Pass program. You may notice a CTA Fee applied to your tuition account shortly after registering for Summer courses. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about Summer U-Pass.
DePaul students who meet the requirements based on course registration will see a CTA Fee on their tuition account. Students are responsible for this fee regardless of benefit use or card pick-up. A CTA fee can be removed ONLY when a student's eligibility has changed on or before the last day to drop courses. Fee administration and removal is an automated process based on registration. The CTA UPass is based on a CTA rate of $1.07 per day plus DePaul's administration fee of approximately 3-4%.
The Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) is increasing the daily rates in the U-Pass program beginning in the summer 2014 quarter. Summer 2014 will be the first summer using CTA's new daily rate of $1.07 per day versus $.81 per day hence the rate increase:
- If the student is enrolled in the College of Law, a $19 increase from $47 to $66 will be effective summer term
- If the student is enrolled in another college/school (not Law), a $25 increase from $57 to $82 will be effective summer term
- IIf the student is enrolled in the College of Law, a a slight increase of $3 (less than 1/2 percent) from $137 to $140 will be effective for fall and spring semesters
- If the student is enrolled in another college/school (not Law), a slight increase of $.50 (less than 1/2 percent) from $91.50 to $92 will be effective fall, winter and spring quarters
- The CTA's daily student rate is $1.07. This daily rate went into effect FALL of 2013. The $1.07 daily rate was not in effect summer of 2013. The $1.07 per day rate represents a 32% increase over the prior daily rate. This is why you are now seeing the significant increase this summer.
- The fee is calculated using the CTA's daily rate of $1.07 per day plus DePaul administrative fees ranging from 4-5% and may vary year to year depending on the number of available CTA service days.
- The CTA may institute future price increases annually through 2018, at their discretion.
- While the university administers the program, the daily rate fees collected from students are passed through to the CTA. DePaul does not profit financially from UPASS.
- Under the current UPASS, students have unlimited rides on CTA trains and buses, 24/7 during each academic term.
- Any student who will use the UPASS for at least two round trip rides per week saves money.
- For information on eligibility requirements and fare changes, please check this UPass website often.
To read more about the CTA's new Ventra payment program, visit http://www.transitchicago.com/upass.