The CTA U-Pass program provides greatly reduced rides for students and requires that all eligible students participate in the program. All eligible students are automatically* enrolled in the program and are responsible for picking up the UPASS and paying the CTA fee. Eligibility is determined based on your academic program, credit hours and course locations as it appears on your registration.
*It can take 3-10 business days for changes in eligibility to be reflected in the the Ventra UPass system as it is not possible to directly link to the DePaul course enrollment system.
Autumn, Winter and Spring Term Eligibility:
To be eligible for the CTA UPass during the Autumn, Winter or Spring terms, you must meet all three of the primary requirements.
Requirement #1 - The Program Requirement
You meet the academic program requirement if you are enrolled in a degree-seeking program or a certificate of completion program at DePaul.
Requirement #2 - The Credit Hour Requirement
You meet the credit hour requirement if:
- You are an undergraduate student in any college enrolled in 12 or more credit hours
- You are a Law student enrolled in 9 or more credit hours
- You are a graduate student in any program enrolled in 8 or more credit hours (except music)
- You are a Music graduate enrolled in 6 or more credit hours
Requirement #3 - The Course Location Requirement
You meet the course location requirement if at least one course is listed as:
- A regular lecture course in the Loop, Lincoln Park, O'Hare or Off-Campus location
- Internship, Student Teaching, or Independent Study (where the "course location" is not listed as "online")
Students taking courses EXCLUSIVELY online, in suburban campuses (Except O'hare), enrolled in non-degree programs or studying abroad are not eligible to receive a CTA U-PASS.
Students who register with DePaul's Center for Students with Disabilities can request to be removed from the CTA U-PASS program with a Disability Waiver by contacting that office directly.
Summer Term Eligibility: Students enrolled in at least ONE credit hour are eligible to participate in the Summer U-Pass program. You may notice a CTA Fee applied to your tuition account shortly after registering for Summer courses. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about Summer U-Pass.
DePaul students who meet the requirements based on course registration will see a CTA Fee on their tuition account. Students are responsible for this fee regardless of benefit use or card pick-up. A CTA fee can be removed ONLY when a student's eligibility has changed on or before the last day to drop courses.
Fee administration and removal is an automated process based on registration. The Ventra UPass is based on a CTA daily rate plus DePaul's administrative fee.
For details on the UPass and other fees, please see the Student Financial Accounts page on General Fees.Additional UPass Fare Information:
- The fee is calculated using the CTA's daily rate plus DePaul's administrative fee; and may vary year to year depending on the number of available CTA service days.
- The CTA may institute future price increases annually through 2018, at their discretion.
- While the university administers the program, the daily rate fees collected from students are passed through to the CTA. DePaul does not profit financially from UPASS.
- Under the current UPASS, students have unlimited rides on CTA trains and buses, 24/7 during each academic term.
- Any student who will use the UPASS for at least two round trip rides per week saves money.
To read more about the CTA's Ventra payment program, visit http://www.transitchicago.com/upass.